This week’s theme at #HealthyKidsCommunity is “Summmer Treats”! Summer is officially over here in Germany but I have made a really yummy and healthy Carrot Lemon (Cup)Cake and can be devoured in both hot summer days with an ice cold drink or wet autumn indoor coffee time. It’s so moist and loaded with carrots and spices!
I did make six mini cupcakes but they were gone before I had a chance to take any pictures! I ate two last night to taste and Jacob (toddler son) ate two for breakfast and wanted to bring the last two to Kindergarten today!
I don’t have sweet tooth but my toddler son does and he loves cakes and all kind of sweets. I often cringe when my mother-in-law gives cakes to my son like it’s some kind of healthy food! Oh well, it’s a generation thing and I’ve had my fight and kept my son away from refined sugar up to 2 years old. Now that we have moved closer to my in-laws it’s impossible for me to control what he eats at their place but at home I am the boss!
Ingredients for the cake
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (melted and cooled slightly)
- 1 large organic egg (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup semi-skimmed milk
- 2 cup freshly grated carrots (about 3 medium)
- zest of one small lemon
- 120 gr cream cheese
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celcius, and coat / brush mini muffin silicon form and any other non-stick baking form with vegetable oil.
- Whisk together the first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, egg, and vanilla powder. Stir in the maple syrup and Greek yogurt, hand mix until no more large clumps. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and milk. For best results, add the flour mixture in 3 equal parts and the milk in 2 equal parts. Fold in the carrots and lemon zest.
- Spread the batter into the muffin form and/or baking form, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool completely to room temperature before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, stir together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and honey in a medium bowl. Spread on top of the cooled muffins and/or cake.