Oh wow, my toddler son finished everything and normally he doesn’t even touch mushrooms! I must admit, self-picked wild mushrooms are in a different league! 😋 The best mushroom risotto ever!
My portion of this yumiliscious risotto. 😋
We as a family went to the forest last Sunday to pick wild mushrooms. I had no idea what are edible, what are not (apart from the red ones with white dots),
but the thought of it was exciting. 😄 Hubby and I found loads if different edible types (shown in the picture above) while Jacob (toddler son) collected pine cones and then made me carry his bag when it got too heavy! Such a cheeky bugger!
Ingredients – NB. Omit salt for baby under 1 year old.
For preparing the mushrooms
- 500 gr (the more the better) wild mushrooms or any ones of your choice
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
For preparing the Carnaroli (or Arborio) rice
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (finely diced)
- 1 cup carnaroli rice (rinsed properly, you never know how clean the production place is)
- 1 litre vegetable / chicken stock
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the mushrooms, clean the mushrooms by brushing them off (do not wash if possible) and slice. Leave the stems on but cut off the tips.
- Heat up a large non-stick frying pan and add olive oil. Add mushrooms and sauté over medium-high heat until lightly browned and have shrunk in size, tender and plump, add salt and allow to sauté for another minute. Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- In same frying pan, melt butter and olive oil together over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add rice, stir for 2-3 minutes until the rice has turn lightly golden.
- Add one ladle of broth and push the mixture around gently in the pan with a wooden spoon, keep stiring. When most of the liquid has evaporated, add another ladle. Repeat this process over about 20-25 minutes until the rice has cooked to the point where it’s al dente then add the mushrooms and stir in well.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.