Butter Cookies / Butter Plätzchen
I love Christmas time! Now that our kids are older is even more fun to bake with them. 🙂
This is probably the best recipe to involve kids in the kitchen. It’s so simple to prepare with only 5 ingredients used. However, you can always add your own twist to it. We kept it very simple and traditional. They came out so delicious that I had to restrain myself from eating them all alone! I have reduced the sugar substantially and they have turned out just right for my toddlers, not even hubby noticed the difference! #winwin
My 4.5 years old was a little junior chef throughout! He put all the ingredients in my KitchenAid bowl and the machine did all the kneeding. However, you can kneed by hand too if you don’t have a baking machine / handheld kneeding machine. 😉 After I have rolled out the dough I was told to sit and wait and he would do the rest. Watching him cutting the cookies and lining up them so neatly on the baking tray really melted my heart. I’m so proud of my little man and can’t believe how grown up he is now!
- 250gr flour of your choice (I used spelt)
- 50gr sugar of your choice (I used brown sugar)
- a pinch of pink salt
- 1 egg
- 125gr cold butter
- chopped almond or cashew / chocolate as garnish
- a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg powder
- If you use brown sugar, then use a food processor or a mortar & pestle to grind the sugar until the texture is fine.
- Mix all ingredients in am bowl and kneed until well combined or use a baking machine. I used my KitchenAid. Wrap the dough up in foil and leave in the fridge for 1 hr.
- Sprinkle some flour on the work surface then start rolling out the dough. Sprinkle more if the dough is too sticky to roll. Use cookie cutter to cut, keep repeating this step until no more dough to cut.
- Optional: Ganish with chopped almond / cashew, press down properly.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 150 °C with fan.
- Optional: Leave to cool them brush over with melted chocolate.